Douglas Tran

Do what you love.

MOMENTS

MOMENTS is a curated exhibition of objects that mark a moment in time for sneaker culture.

I think the reason sneakers weave into culture so authentically is because they touch on things that people love :: sports, art, fashion, and music. The selected list of curated objects are more than just accessories, but have become artifacts that are cherished to the history of the movement.

The Moments exhibition curates an educational exploration into the history of sneaker culture through a collection of objects that represent the three pillars of sneaker culture: art, sport/fashion, and music. Through adaptations the objects become an extension of the sneakers i.e. for the Nike Air Jordan I, which was banned by the NBA for not having enough white on the shoes, the spray paint can was given the original black and red treatment and signifies the importance of the colorway. The skateboard represents the crossover fusion between sport in street / counter-culture which mixes different ethnic communities. Lastly, music, as the last pillar of sneaker culture and arguably the most important extension of the culture because even if an individual does not follow art or design, sport or fashion, nearly everyone universally appreciates music. The goal of this exhibition is to serve as an experience to inspire and motivate artists and designers through the subculture of sneakers.

If I had to choose one sneaker for the rest of my life, it would have to be the Nike Air Jordan I.